The tips below can help you as homeowners avoid disaster from these appliances.
Ranges are the leading culprits in house fires. Range fires are caused by delayed ignition on an oven’s bake and broil functions as well as burners turning on by themselves. The best way to avoid range fires according to Consumer Reports is to always stay in the kitchen when using your oven or stove.
Clothes dryers are perhaps the next most frequent cause of appliance fires. These are most often caused by lint buildup overheating and also by gas leaks in gas dryers. Always clean the lint filter between each load put into the dryer and frequently check appliances and accompanying pipes to make sure they’re in good working condition.
Consumer Reports also recommends cleaning the vent entirely once per year and never running a dryer when you’re sleeping or away from home. Microwaves, refrigerators, and dishwashers are also subject to mechanical failure that may in the worst case lead to house fires. Be aware of how to turn your appliances off both at the kitchen outlet as well as at the circuit breaker.
Finally check small appliances such as toaster ovens for frayed cords and replace as needed. With awareness and frequent checkups, you can avoid appliance fires in your home.